Wednesday night B and I went over to my family’s house and I made Broccoli Cheddar soup. I have to make as much of this as I can before the sunny spring days come! This is not my own top secret recipe. In fact, I found it on google while searching for the closest recipe to Panera’s famous Broccoli Cheddar soup. I am Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar’s number one fan!
I tweaked the recipe a bit and have found the way I like it. Most recipes call for half and half but I just can’t bring myself to use it so I use plain ol 2% milk and I haven’t noticed any difference. Don’t let the wateriness of it scare you. It gets nice and thick by the end:) This size batch will feed four and will STUFF four if you serve it in a sourdough bread bowl… I just drooled. Have fun cooking and enjoy that soup!! Let me know if you make it:)
Cooking with friends is always fun… especially when your friend is hairy, brown, and drools waiting for a scrap to drop! He didn’t leave my side the whole time. Love him!
1/2 cup and 2 tbs of butter
1 chopped onion
1/2 cup of flour
3 cups of milk (normal recipes call for half and half but I use 2% every time)
3 cups of chicken broth
3/4 pound of broccoli chopped
1/2 tsp nutmeg
12 oz of grated SHARP cheddar cheese (got to have the sharp!;))
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt the 2 tbs of butter in frying pan and caramelize chopped onions. Set aside.
2. In a big soup pot, cook 1/2 cup of butter and flour over medium heat. Whisking constantly for 3-5 minutes.
3. Stirring constantly, slowly add the milk.
4. Stirring constantly, add the chicken broth. Then simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add the broccoli and onions and cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes.
6. Add the cheese and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper to taste.